Since a lot of people here are more in the sciences-math field, I was wondering if anyone might be into sports at all? I ask because of the stereotype that math people don't do sports.
I've noticed a certain type of man online who proudly states he has "no interest in sports." He often frames it as a sign of his intellectual superiority...but I have to ask... is it really?
For me, watching a game isn't just about entertainment. It's about understanding strategy, appreciating physical excellence, and participating in a shared passion.
So I guess what I'm getting at is: Can a guy who has zero interest in sports, either playing or at least watching, be truly considered a 'proper man' in the traditional sense? Maybe not specifically a sport, but at least some kind of physical activity no?
Looking for honest thoughts, not just "to each his own."
Anybody here into sports?
-
StudentDriver
- Posts: 58
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2026 9:24 pm
Re: Anybody here into sports?
Me! Street Calisthenics= Street gymnastics. I watch some powerlifting comps. But I especially watch this thing called street lifter comps (they are composed of 3 movements I think (pull-ups, dips, squats))
- ZombieVampir
- Posts: 21
- Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2026 3:23 pm
- Location: Scotland
Re: Anybody here into sports?
I sometimes go swimming. My maim mode of Transport is my Bicycle and I love going on Bike Trails. My "sport" of choice is Speedrunning, Mainly Mariokart.
-
Ridge Rider
- Posts: 19
- Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2026 12:57 pm
Re: Anybody here into sports?
I am! Football and basketball mostly, some wrestling too.
- AllanCavendish
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2026 1:06 pm
Re: Anybody here into sports?
I think the disconnect has to do with the application of the things you call out: "...strategy, appreciating physical excellence, and participating in a shared passion."
I think most 'proper men' in 'the traditional sense' value all of these things, but apply them differently and I've certainly heard the argument that this comes from aim and maturity.
Some would argue a mature man would not seek to develop his sense of strategy in sports, video-games, or other simulated activities, but developing strategies for real life encounters. Such as: Social strategies for debate, engaging with difficult individuals, or haggling for a deal, the list is endless. One might even argue chess, the game of kings, is a good way to develop strategic thinking. But is it truly worth your time as a man to spend years becoming a grand master? I would certainly argue no.
Physical exercise is certainly important, but the aim is of course in question. Are you building your physique for display, are you competing for glory and fame, or are you keeping in shape for your own health and well-being? I would certainly side myself with the players in this case. I see no value in watching. Memorizing statistics, tracking the trades and team composition. I would argue the only sports worth following closely that you are not actively participating in are your children's leagues or small, local organizations. Why care about national or regional teams when barely anyone from the team is from your area? Where's the pride in following and cheering for a foreigner with you state/province/country flag on the big screen? Give your home town players your support and attention.
And again, with shared passion, I think aim is usually in question. Shared passion is not exclusive to sports.
I think most sports-fan-critics are often against the religion of major league sports organizations, not the idea of a physical activity alone or with friends. The people who have entire rooms in their homes, plastered with memorabilia and icons of specific teams and players. The ones who spend hundreds, if not thousands to watch from closer seats.
Men generally bond more so over activity that pure social interaction, so I certainly see the value. As long as it stays a hobby, it's for health, and it's to bond with your local community, I see no harm.
I think most 'proper men' in 'the traditional sense' value all of these things, but apply them differently and I've certainly heard the argument that this comes from aim and maturity.
Some would argue a mature man would not seek to develop his sense of strategy in sports, video-games, or other simulated activities, but developing strategies for real life encounters. Such as: Social strategies for debate, engaging with difficult individuals, or haggling for a deal, the list is endless. One might even argue chess, the game of kings, is a good way to develop strategic thinking. But is it truly worth your time as a man to spend years becoming a grand master? I would certainly argue no.
Physical exercise is certainly important, but the aim is of course in question. Are you building your physique for display, are you competing for glory and fame, or are you keeping in shape for your own health and well-being? I would certainly side myself with the players in this case. I see no value in watching. Memorizing statistics, tracking the trades and team composition. I would argue the only sports worth following closely that you are not actively participating in are your children's leagues or small, local organizations. Why care about national or regional teams when barely anyone from the team is from your area? Where's the pride in following and cheering for a foreigner with you state/province/country flag on the big screen? Give your home town players your support and attention.
And again, with shared passion, I think aim is usually in question. Shared passion is not exclusive to sports.
I think most sports-fan-critics are often against the religion of major league sports organizations, not the idea of a physical activity alone or with friends. The people who have entire rooms in their homes, plastered with memorabilia and icons of specific teams and players. The ones who spend hundreds, if not thousands to watch from closer seats.
Men generally bond more so over activity that pure social interaction, so I certainly see the value. As long as it stays a hobby, it's for health, and it's to bond with your local community, I see no harm.