Are "smart" students really all that smart?
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2026 5:10 am
Here's something I've wondered about for a while. Why is the ideal student almost always the same kind of person?
Reads a lot. Quiet. Analytical. Good memory. Thinks everything through. Writes well. Gets interested in fairly abstract things. Probably wants to go to college. Gets good grades. These students have always existed, but maybe Im wrong and some of you older guys can correct me if Im mistaken, my impression is that back in the day, these types of students didnt wield nearly as much power as they do today.
We've all known the guy who isn't particularly impressive academically but is incredibly competent outside school.
Maybe he gets Cs but can fix a car. Maybe he isn't much of a reader but can walk into a room where he knows nobody and have five friends twenty minutes later.
Maybe he's good at football, which is also a skill, and then he's also or can be also funny, brave, physically capable, loyal to his friends.
Meanwhile, you can be extremely academically successful while being indecisive, socially terrified, physically useless, afraid of risk, permanently stressed and completely unable to function without somebody telling you exactly what the rubric requires. I know I can't be the only person thinking this because I spent all my life in school, graduated, and several of my friends were thinking the same type of stuff. Like if you had to choose for your safety and just overall sense of wellbeing, are you seriously going to choose some random straight A kid or the kid who is actually physically capable? In the stuff that truly matters to me, I dont see great academic types.
From what Ive seen, a lot of the guys who get suspended from school or in trouble are not always in the wrong. For example, students have been known to be suspended when schools infiltrate their PRIVATE chats and accuse them of racism or antisemitism. What right does any school have to look at private chats?
But anyway going back to the main thing, the kid who hates writing an essay explaining leadership but captains a football team brilliantly might actually know something about leadership that the person grading his essay doesn't. Just an example but, I think it's fair.
If you've spent years getting Cs while sitting beside somebody who seems to get As without trying, eventually it's very easy to conclude that you're simply a lower-quality version of that person and I don't think that's true.
Reads a lot. Quiet. Analytical. Good memory. Thinks everything through. Writes well. Gets interested in fairly abstract things. Probably wants to go to college. Gets good grades. These students have always existed, but maybe Im wrong and some of you older guys can correct me if Im mistaken, my impression is that back in the day, these types of students didnt wield nearly as much power as they do today.
We've all known the guy who isn't particularly impressive academically but is incredibly competent outside school.
Maybe he gets Cs but can fix a car. Maybe he isn't much of a reader but can walk into a room where he knows nobody and have five friends twenty minutes later.
Maybe he's good at football, which is also a skill, and then he's also or can be also funny, brave, physically capable, loyal to his friends.
Meanwhile, you can be extremely academically successful while being indecisive, socially terrified, physically useless, afraid of risk, permanently stressed and completely unable to function without somebody telling you exactly what the rubric requires. I know I can't be the only person thinking this because I spent all my life in school, graduated, and several of my friends were thinking the same type of stuff. Like if you had to choose for your safety and just overall sense of wellbeing, are you seriously going to choose some random straight A kid or the kid who is actually physically capable? In the stuff that truly matters to me, I dont see great academic types.
From what Ive seen, a lot of the guys who get suspended from school or in trouble are not always in the wrong. For example, students have been known to be suspended when schools infiltrate their PRIVATE chats and accuse them of racism or antisemitism. What right does any school have to look at private chats?
But anyway going back to the main thing, the kid who hates writing an essay explaining leadership but captains a football team brilliantly might actually know something about leadership that the person grading his essay doesn't. Just an example but, I think it's fair.
If you've spent years getting Cs while sitting beside somebody who seems to get As without trying, eventually it's very easy to conclude that you're simply a lower-quality version of that person and I don't think that's true.