Page 1 of 1

Reviewing Alfred Cromwell's Higher Algebra Book and what I saw that may need to be revised erratas

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2026 8:53 am
by Alazor
Top-left of page 36 example has a typo: should be 2x^2 instead of x^2.

Some writing on top of page 99.

Question #9 in examples II, the square root was not printed correctly.

Answer Key V Ex. III question #14 and #16 answers, the square roots were not printed well.

Answer Key Ex V Question #9, the answer should be (30a^5)(b^7)(c^3), not (30a^6)(b^7)(c^3)

Answer Key Ex V Question #11 should be (-42x^(5/2))(y^2), not (-42x^(5/3))(y^2)

*
Answer Key EX VIII
#5 Answer should be: 4(m^6)+12(m^5)(n)-24(m^4)(n^2)+64(m^3)(n^3)-72(m^2)(n^4)+32(m)(n^5)-20(n^6)

NOT 4(m^6)+12(m^5)(n)-24(m^4)(n^2)+6(m^3)(n^3)-72(m^2)(n^4)+32(m)(n^5)-20(n^6)

#7 Answer should be: x^5 + 3(x^4)(y)-28(x^3)(y^2)+3(x^2)(y^3)+12(x)(y^4)-63(y^5)

NOT x^5 + 3(x^4)(y)+28(x^3)(y^2)+3(x^2)(y^3)+12(x)(y^4)-63(y^5)

#16 Answer should be: x^7-10(x^6)+3(x^4)+30(x^3)+6x-60

NOT: x^7-10(x^6)+3(x^4)+30(x^3)+6x-30

Answer Key EX IX

#9 answer should be x^7 + 2x^6 - 10x^5 - 16x^4 + 29x^3 + 38x^2 - 20x - 24

NOT: x^7 - 2x^6 - 10x^5 + 28x^4 + 5x^3 - 74x^2 + 76x -24

Answer Key EX X

#26, the answer should be 16x^4 + 12x^2 - 88, NOT 16x^4 - 12x^2 - 88

#34, the answer could be written as 4z^4 + 8yz^2 - 45y^2 NOT 4z^4 + (8z^2)(y) - 45y^2, both answers are technically right, but the former is a bit more proper.

Also, the answers to questions #41 and #42 in the section are good, but could be simplified further.

I hope this helps for the 2nd edition of the book!

Re: Reviewing Alfred Cromwell's Higher Algebra Book and what I saw that may need to be revised erratas

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2026 3:49 am
by HoratioSeymour
hey thanks for this! Super helpful. I was thinking about getting the book. Is it hard though?

Re: Reviewing Alfred Cromwell's Higher Algebra Book and what I saw that may need to be revised erratas

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2026 4:08 am
by Alazor
Hey, Horatio Seymour,

I would say it may take some time to review the Algebra, he uses short-hand methods of doing the Algebra. I did the adding Polynomials, Subtracting Polynomials, and part of the Multiplying Polynomials sections of the book. I've only really hit the tip of the iceberg. It's not too hard, but the problems take some getting used to and it can be easy making mistakes and copying mistakes when copying the problems down on a piece of paper.If you've done Algebra before it's not too bad.

- Alazor

Re: Reviewing Alfred Cromwell's Higher Algebra Book and what I saw that may need to be revised erratas

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2026 4:19 am
by HoratioSeymour
Awesome! Thanks for responding. I've done Algebra 1 before only though, and in a public school.

Re: Reviewing Alfred Cromwell's Higher Algebra Book and what I saw that may need to be revised erratas

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2026 12:59 pm
by Ridge Rider
Super helpful! Thanks

Re: Reviewing Alfred Cromwell's Higher Algebra Book and what I saw that may need to be revised erratas

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2026 9:48 pm
by Alazor
HoratioSeymour wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2026 4:19 am Awesome! Thanks for responding. I've done Algebra 1 before only though, and in a public school.
I would still get the book. It's not like he's jumping right into matrices initially or anything like that. If you've done polynomials and factoring - that's where it starts.

Re: Reviewing Alfred Cromwell's Higher Algebra Book and what I saw that may need to be revised erratas

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2026 8:52 am
by Ridge Rider
Thanks! I just ordered from them 2 copies, and decided to help them out too with a donation as I noticed they´re trying to create scholarships now. Im not even a math guy but I am super curious haha.

Re: Reviewing Alfred Cromwell's Higher Algebra Book and what I saw that may need to be revised erratas

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2026 4:25 pm
by HoratioSeymour
Alazor wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2026 9:48 pm
HoratioSeymour wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2026 4:19 am Awesome! Thanks for responding. I've done Algebra 1 before only though, and in a public school.
I would still get the book. It's not like he's jumping right into matrices initially or anything like that. If you've done polynomials and factoring - that's where it starts.
Ok, thanks for the feedback. Just ordered a copy today.

Re: Reviewing Alfred Cromwell's Higher Algebra Book and what I saw that may need to be revised erratas

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2026 12:44 pm
by admin
Alazor wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2026 8:53 am Top-left of page 36 example has a typo: should be 2x^2 instead of x^2.

Some writing on top of page 99.

Question #9 in examples II, the square root was not printed correctly.

Answer Key V Ex. III question #14 and #16 answers, the square roots were not printed well.

Answer Key Ex V Question #9, the answer should be (30a^5)(b^7)(c^3), not (30a^6)(b^7)(c^3)

Answer Key Ex V Question #11 should be (-42x^(5/2))(y^2), not (-42x^(5/3))(y^2)

*
Answer Key EX VIII
#5 Answer should be: 4(m^6)+12(m^5)(n)-24(m^4)(n^2)+64(m^3)(n^3)-72(m^2)(n^4)+32(m)(n^5)-20(n^6)

NOT 4(m^6)+12(m^5)(n)-24(m^4)(n^2)+6(m^3)(n^3)-72(m^2)(n^4)+32(m)(n^5)-20(n^6)

#7 Answer should be: x^5 + 3(x^4)(y)-28(x^3)(y^2)+3(x^2)(y^3)+12(x)(y^4)-63(y^5)

NOT x^5 + 3(x^4)(y)+28(x^3)(y^2)+3(x^2)(y^3)+12(x)(y^4)-63(y^5)

#16 Answer should be: x^7-10(x^6)+3(x^4)+30(x^3)+6x-60

NOT: x^7-10(x^6)+3(x^4)+30(x^3)+6x-30

I hope this helps for the 2nd edition of the book!
Oh my goodness, this is so helpful! Thank you. Admin will for sure pass on this info to Mr. Cromwell.