Does Faith Require Having all the answers?
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2026 1:53 pm
One thing I've been thinking about a lot lately is how some Christians seem to equate certainty with faith. The assumption is that the stronger your faith is, the fewer questions you should have, and the more confident you should be that your interpretation of Scripture is the correct one.
I'm honestly not convinced that's how faith works.
Throughout church history, some of the greatest theologians and mystics didn't speak about God as though He were a problem that had been solved. They spoke about God as someone infinitely beyond human comprehension. Whatever we know of God will always be partial because finite people can't fully grasp an infinite God.
Ironically, I think that's a much higher view of God than pretending we've managed to package Him into a perfectly consistent theological system.
There are realities that can be genuinely known without being exhaustively understood. Love is like that. Consciousness is like that. Even other human beings are like that. Why would God be any different?
I also think we need a little more humility when talking about theology. At some point, we have to acknowledge that interpretation is unavoidable. None of us approaches the Bible as a blank slate. We all read through lenses shaped by history, language, culture, tradition, and our own experiences.
Personally, I'm becoming less interested in arguments over who has the most airtight doctrinal system and more interested in whether our theology actually produces the fruit Jesus talked about. Does it make us more compassionate? More just? More merciful?
Jesus consistently challenged people who were absolutely convinced they had God figured out. The people who seemed most certain about their theological correctness were often the ones least able to recognize what God was doing right in front of them.
I also don't think Christianity should be reduced to intellectual agreement with a list of propositions. Of course doctrine matters. Ideas have consequences. But Christianity has always been more than simply believing the right things, it's participating in the life of Christ, being transformed by the Spirit, and learning to embody the kingdom of God in the world.
To me, discipleship isn't just about having correct answers; it's about becoming a certain kind of person.
If God is truly infinite, then growth in our understanding shouldn't stop the moment we settle into one theological tradition. We should expect to keep learning, keep wrestling, and sometimes even revise our assumptions in light of Scripture, history, reason, and the work of the Spirit.
Maybe certainty has been overrated because I feel due to all this humility is actually the more Christian virtue in this.
What do you all think?
I'm honestly not convinced that's how faith works.
Throughout church history, some of the greatest theologians and mystics didn't speak about God as though He were a problem that had been solved. They spoke about God as someone infinitely beyond human comprehension. Whatever we know of God will always be partial because finite people can't fully grasp an infinite God.
Ironically, I think that's a much higher view of God than pretending we've managed to package Him into a perfectly consistent theological system.
There are realities that can be genuinely known without being exhaustively understood. Love is like that. Consciousness is like that. Even other human beings are like that. Why would God be any different?
I also think we need a little more humility when talking about theology. At some point, we have to acknowledge that interpretation is unavoidable. None of us approaches the Bible as a blank slate. We all read through lenses shaped by history, language, culture, tradition, and our own experiences.
Personally, I'm becoming less interested in arguments over who has the most airtight doctrinal system and more interested in whether our theology actually produces the fruit Jesus talked about. Does it make us more compassionate? More just? More merciful?
Jesus consistently challenged people who were absolutely convinced they had God figured out. The people who seemed most certain about their theological correctness were often the ones least able to recognize what God was doing right in front of them.
I also don't think Christianity should be reduced to intellectual agreement with a list of propositions. Of course doctrine matters. Ideas have consequences. But Christianity has always been more than simply believing the right things, it's participating in the life of Christ, being transformed by the Spirit, and learning to embody the kingdom of God in the world.
To me, discipleship isn't just about having correct answers; it's about becoming a certain kind of person.
If God is truly infinite, then growth in our understanding shouldn't stop the moment we settle into one theological tradition. We should expect to keep learning, keep wrestling, and sometimes even revise our assumptions in light of Scripture, history, reason, and the work of the Spirit.
Maybe certainty has been overrated because I feel due to all this humility is actually the more Christian virtue in this.
What do you all think?